Senior Web Developer/Technical Strategist
Opening Date: 6/02/2021
Closing Date: 6/15/2021
This job will close when we have received 150 applications which may be sooner than the closing date.
Salary: $103,690 to $134,798 per year
Type of Position: Federal
Location: Washington, DC, Full-Time Telework Eligible
The National Air and Space Museum (NASM) maintains the largest collection of aviation and space artifacts in the world. The Museum reaches a national and international audience through its website, social media, and third-party platforms. Serves as a senior web developer (full stack) and technical lead responsible for strategic application development, systems integration, and platform management across the Museum's digital initiatives.
This position is inside the bargaining unit.
- Leads the technical design, implementation and maintenance of the Museum’s websites, web-based platforms, and digital initiatives. (Websites currently hosted on Drupal 8.)
- Serves as the Museum's primary expert on technical matters concerning web, mobile, semantic web, and other software applications. Researches existing and emerging technologies to determine and directly implement appropriate methods of content delivery and presentation. Advises on applications and systems. Writes technical documentation and specifications.
- Ensure ongoing maintenance and compliance with organizational directives and system and software changes as they arise. Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues, perform regular upgrades or enhancements to improve efficiency and performance.
- Configures and optimizes the museum’s digital environment, system architecture and integrations. Develops connections between digital content management system (CMS), Smithsonian enterprise information systems, linked data, application programming interfaces (APIs), and other shared systems, web services, and data sources.
Knowledge and Qualifications Required for the Position
Conditions of Employment
- Pre- and post-appointment background investigation
- U.S. citizenship
- May be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job opportunity announcement closing date.
For information on qualification requirements, see Qualification Standards Handbook for General Schedule Positions viewable on the web at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
Specialized Experience: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation. Applicants who have the 1 year of appropriate specialized experience, are not required to have general experience, education above the high school level, or any additional specialized experience to meet the minimum qualification requirements.
For this position, applicants must have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level, GS-12, in the Federal Service or equivalent.
For this position, specialized experience is defined as:
Part-Time or Unpaid Experience: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid work on the same basis as for paid experience. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. To receive credit for such experience you must indicate clearly the nature of the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the average number of hours per week spent in such employment on your online resume.
Please Note: Every entry must include average number of hours per week worked to be considered. (Eg. Web Developer | Skynet | 40 hours per week)
Note: Your specialized experience must have been in a position(s) equivalent to duties for the occupation at the next lower grade level for the position being filled as defined by applicable Federal standards.
Education: Education can not be substituted for experience at the GS-13 grade level.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above.
Please Note: Every entry on your resume must include average number of hours per week worked to be considered. (Eg. Web Developer | Skynet | 40 hours per week)
The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
Ability to design, develop, and produce complex websites and applications, with expert knowledge of web best practices.
Expert knowledge of content management systems (CMS) and web development frameworks including Drupal. Ability to create, edit, or modify templates for a CMS or web development framework.
Ability to lead analysis of requirements of web, mobile, semantic web, and other software applications, server and systems integrations, define optimal solutions, and manage implementation.
Knowledge of server and software administration best practices and ability to troubleshoot and optimize application performance.
Expert skills in optimizing system performance, architecture and integrations.
Knowledge of linked data and semantic web technologies such as RDF, XML, and JSON. Expert knowledge of REST and JSON with ability to leverage multiple APIs to optimize the front-end user experience.
Applicants who meet or exceed minimum qualifications will be assigned to one of three category groups based on job-related criteria:
- Best Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most of the job related competencies above.
- Better Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and satisfies most of the job related competencies above.
- Good Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but does not satisfy most of the job related competencies above to a substantive degree.
This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the vacancy questions will not be considered for this position. Please note: Every entry on your resume must include average number of hours per week worked to be considered. (Eg. Web Developer | Skynet | 40 hours per week)
The review of your resume will determine your final rating and should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
Every entry on your resume must include average number of hours per week worked to be considered. (Eg. Web Developer | Skynet | 40 hours per week)
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
The Smithsonian offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, vacation and sick leave, holidays, commuter benefits, health/life insurance, and accidental insurance. Please see Benefits at www.sihr.si.edu for a complete description.
You can learn additional information here:
- Flexible Spending Accounts - http://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp
- Health Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp
- Leave - http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp
- Life Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp
- Long Term Care Insurance - http://www.ltcfeds.com
- Retirement Program - http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
How to Apply
- You may submit required documents by uploading them online during the application process.
- The complete application package, including any required documents, is due in the Smithsonian Office of Human Resources on the closing date of the announcement by 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
- If you are unable to apply online, paper applications may be accepted with prior approval of the Contact Person listed on USAJobs.
Your application package should include the following documents:
- Detailed resume created in the USAJOBS Resume Builder.
- Proof of prior federal service such as the latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action
- Unofficial school transcripts, if the position has an education requirement or if you are using education to qualify. If selected for the position, you must provide an official transcript before appointment.
- Proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study, if applicable.
- A recent performance evaluation
- Proof of Veteran's Preference - DD214 (Member 4 Copy) if you are requesting a special appointment authority, such as VRA or VEOA
- Proof of severe disability if you are requesting special placement consideration
- Proof of eligibility for a military spouse appointment, such as a permanent change station military order
- Proof of eligibility for any other special appointing authority not specifically mentioned here.
After you apply, you will receive an automated acknowledgement email that your submission was successful.
When you apply for this announcement, your resume will be maintained in our candidate inventory and eligible applicants will be considered for vacancies that occur during the open period of this announcement. As vacancies occur, highly qualified candidates from the current inventory of applicants will be referred to the selecting official for further consideration.
An inquiry on the status of your application is not pertinent for this open announcement; because if further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted directly. If you are determined ineligible for this announcement, an updated status will be provided on USAJobs. .
Please submit written requests to withdraw your application from consideration via email to the contact person listed on the job opportunity announcement.
The Smithsonian Institute does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.