Abrams Explorer Drawings

The Abrams Explorer, built in 1937, was the only one ever created and was uniquely designed for aerial survey and mapping functions. By featuring obstruction-free camera platforms, Abrams Aircraft CEO Dr. Talbert Abrams planned to market the plane to the United States armed forces for surveys, mapmaking, and aerial photography. The aircraft was successfully tested and used for government contract survey work until the beginning of the war when the military opted for more survivable, converted high-speed fighter aircraft for photo reconnaissance. Dr. Abrams lent the Abrams Explorer to the National Air Museum in 1948, and it was officially donated in 1973.