The Campaign for the National Air and Space Museum
What is the Campaign for the National Air and Space Museum?
The Campaign for the National Air and Space Museum—a part of the larger Smithsonian Campaign and the first in our history—will transform one of the nation's greatest assets into a 21st century catalyst for change. The Campaign will provide the resources for new exhibits, new public programming, and new educational opportunities for teachers and students, and will help the Museum reach new audiences across the country and around the world. The Campaign will ensure that the Museum has the power to change and the permanence to endure.
Why does the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum need to raise private funds? Doesn't the government fund it?
Private philanthropy is essential to the Museum's ability to create compelling new exhibitions, offer dynamic educational programming and free public lectures, preserve historic aircraft, advance ground-breaking research in planetary science, and bring field trips to the Museum and the Museum into classrooms around the world.
Federal funding, while vital, provides approximately 50% of the Museum's operating budget. Private support ensures that the National Air and Space Museum fulfills its potential and shares its learning and discovery with the nation, the world, and the future.
I want to participate in the Campaign. How can I help?
- There are many ways you can contribute to the Campaign and support the National Air and Space Museum:
- Donate at any level to support the Museum's greatest needs.
- Join the National Air and Space Society, memberships start at $35.
- Place your name, or the name of someone you wish to recognize, on the National Air and Space Museum's Wall of Honor.
- Provide corporate sponsorship of a Museum exhibition or program.
- Include the National Air and Space Museum in in your estate plans or consider another form of planned giving.
- Contact a member of the Advancement Office for more information on giving opportunities to address the Museum's top priorities.