The Aerial Navigation Company of America (1908-1912) was founded by Henry Laurens Call, socialist lawyer and economist. Located in Girard, Kansas, the Aerial Navigation Company designed the the Call airship -- the first Kansas-designed and built aircraft to make an attempt to take off. The airship was not successful, but the company established a factory, a flying school, and built an additional 13 aircraft before going bankrupt in 1912. Only one of the aircraft, the Call Monoplane, actually flew. The Company's biggest success was with the Call Aviation Engine which they manufactured and marketed.
Mr. and Mrs. Harry H. Knapp, gift, 1995, 1995-0046, unknown
0.01 Cubic feet ((1 folder))
No restrictions on access
This collection consists of photographs and documents relating to the Aerial Navigation Company of America, including: Call engine photographs and literature; Call aircraft, including the 1912 Call Monoplane; by-laws and stock certificates for the Company; a photograph of the machine shop; and newspaper clippings regarding William Moody, who was a mechanic for the company, circa 1910-1912. There is also material regarding the lighting system installed by Moody at the Omaha Airport, 1936.
Aerial Navigation Co.
Call, Henry Laurens
Airplanes -- Motors
National Air and Space Museum Archives