Dornier Do X Photograph Album Ben M. Anderson

Display Status:

This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.

Constructed by AG für Dornier-Flugzeuge, the massive twelve engine Dornier Do X flying boat was first rolled out of its hangar at Altenrhein, Switzerland, on the morning of July 12, 1929, in preparation for its maiden voyage from the waters of Lake Constance (Bodensee). After some taxiing tests using at first eight of the engines, then all twelve of the 525 hp Siemens Jupiter nine-cylinder air-cooled radial engines, the 37 ton Dornier Do X lifted off the surface of the water under the control of Dornier's Chief Pilot Richard Wagner. Tests continued through the summer of 1929, resulting in some slight structural alterations to the fuselage. Flight tests were completed on February 20, 1930. Difficulty in cooling the rear engines led to the Siemens Jupiter engines being replaced with twelve 600 hp Curtiss Conqueror 12-cylinder water-cooled engines; this modification was first flown on August 4, 1930.