Instrument Landing System Collection

In 1938 the International Telephone Development Company (ITDC) was awarded a contract by the Bureau of Standards for the Aeronautical Branch of the Department of Commerce (BAC) to develop a blind landing system which would enable pilots to land their aircraft under conditions of poor visibility. In 1944, the term 'Blind Landing' was changed to 'Instrument Landing.'