Les Appareils SPAD Construits par Blériot Aéronautique Sales Brochure

The original SPAD aircraft manufacturing company was formed by Armand Deperdussin in 1910. The acronym SPAD was derived from the company's formal name, Société pour les Appareils Deperdussin. SPAD was taken over in 1914 by the famous aviation pioneer, Louis Blériot, when the firm was experiencing serious financial difficulties. Blériot renamed the company Société pour l'Aviation et ses Dérives, thus retaining the same acronym.