Display Status This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.

The Naval Air Propulsion Center was established by the merger of the Naval Air Turbine Test Station (NATTS) and the Aeronautical Engine Laboratory (AEL). The AEL, established in 1915, was responsible for testing small gas turbine engines, auxiliary power units and engine starters. The NATTS's mission was the testing and evaluation of the turbojet, turboprop, ramjet, and pulsejet engines, accessories and components

Identifier

NASM.XXXX.0526

Creator

United States. Navy

Date

bulk 1923-1979

Provenance

Capt. Edward Sturm / Naval Air Propulsion Center, Gift, 1982

Extent

43.6 Cubic feet ((40 box))

Restrictions

No restrictions on access.

Type

Collection descriptions

Archival materials

Reports

Scope and Contents

This accession consists of forty (40) boxes of technical publications from the United States Navy Naval Air Propulsion Center. The collection consists of mostly AEL/AED Formal Reports. There are also some Letter Report Numbers and miscellaneous files containing reports on Lycoming and Wasp engines.

Genre/Form

Reports

Rights

Material is subject to Smithsonian Terms of Use. Should you wish to use NASM material in any medium, please submit an Application for Permission to Reproduce NASM Material, available at Permissions Requests

Topics Propulsion systems
Airplanes -- Turbine-propeller engines
Engines
Aeronautics
Aeronautics, Military
Naval aviation
Aeronautics -- Research
Lycoming engines
Pratt & Whitney Wasp engines

Citation

United States Navy Naval Propulsion Center Technical Publications, Accession number XXXX-0526, National Air and Space Museum, Smithsonian Institution.

Archival Repository

National Air and Space Museum Archives

Finding Aid Online Finding Aid