Allison T56-A-1 (501-D13) Turboprop Engine, Cutaway, Motorized

Display Status:

This object is on display in the Boeing Aviation Hangar at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.

Boeing Aviation Hangar

In 1951 the U.S. Air Force announced a requirement for a medium-size logistic and tactical transport aircraft, which resulted in the workhorse Lockheed C-130 Hercules. With Air Force support, Allison designed the T56 turboprop for the C 130 and first flight tested the engine in 1954 in the nose of a Boeing B-17 test bed aircraft.

The first production installation was on the Lockheed YC 130, which first flew in August 1954. The commercial version of the T56, the 501, powered the Lockheed Electra L-188, which entered service with Eastern Airlines in 1959. With some models rated in excess of 5,000 horsepower, the T56 has powered several other large military and commercial aircraft, such as the Lockheed P-3, Convair 580, Grumman C-2 and E-2, and Aerospace Lines Super Guppy.