Autopilot, V-1

Display Status:

This object is on display in the Rockets & Missiles at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.

Rockets & Missiles

This device was used to guide the World War II-era flying bomb "V-1" from launch ramps in German-controlled territory to targets in Belgium and England. A set of air-driven gyros maintained the bomb's course, and a timing device determined when to cut off the pulse-jet motor and commence a dive to a target.

This autopilot was apparently recovered from a V-1 that landed, unexploded, in London.

Donated to the Museum by the Army and Navy Club in 1953.