Collection Item Summary:
This is a box containing incinerated components of the Explorer S-1 payload, and were retrieved from the satellite after launch failure on 16 July 1959. Some parts were relaunched on Explorer VII. They were part of a payload inventory originally intended for the University of Iowa package to be flown on Vanguard and the early Explorer satellites. They remained in George Ludwig's possession since they were built in the late 1950s. Donated by Dr. George Ludwig in 2006.