Collection Item Summary:
The officer's Type M1940 service uniform was adopted by the United States Army during the service's rapid expansion prior America's entry into World War II. Popularly known as the "pinks and greens" this uniform remained standard issue until the passage of the National Security Act of 1947 that created the Department of Defense. The uniform continued to be worn in the aftermath of the Act but officially became obsolete after July 1948.
This uniform was worn by the donor, William P. Haynes, while serving as a pilot in Air Transport Command in North Africa and Italy during World War II.