Culver TD2C-1

The NASM's Culver, serial number 120035, is one of the 1,198 TD2C drones used by the Navy. Records are incomplete, but it may have been transferred from the Army. In May of 1949 it was located at NAS Johnsville, Pennsylvania. In October of that year the radio control equipment was removed and in June 1950 radomes were installed on the wings for tests conducted by a local electronics laboratory. In October 1950, the aircraft was transferred to Air Development Squadron 2 (VX-2) at NAS Chincoteague, Virginia. It was restricted to normal flying because of the mutilation to the wings resulting from the installation and removal of the radomes. Most of the aircraft's total of 184 flying hours were accumulated in the next two years. In June 1952, 120035 received a new engine, but in November of that year it was transferred to Norfolk to be made ready for transfer to the National Air Museum. The Smithsonian took ownership of the TD2C-1 in 1961 and it is currently in storage at the Paul E. Garber Restoration and Preservation Facility in Suitland, Maryland.