Designed by Robert Fulton Jr., the Airphibian in 1950 became the first roadable aircraft approved by the Civil Aviation Administration. It could fly to an airport and then, after disengaging wings, tail, and propeller, become a car. Other roadable aircraft, such as Waldo Waterman's Arrow/Aerobile and William Stout's Skycar (both in the Museum's collection), had been built but none earned certification.
While a technical success as a flying car, the Airphibian did not become a marketable design due to the inherent compromises of air and car technologies and financial difficulties. A former company officer donated the Airphibian in 1960 and Robert Fulton III restored it in 1998.