Developed under a 1953 U.S. Navy contract, the T58 was GE's first small gas turbine aircraft engine. Its first flight took place in 1957 in a modified Sikorsky HSS-1F helicopter powered by two YT58 engines. More than 6,000 T58 and CT58 (civilian version) engines were built between 1956 and 1984, most for military helicopters. A first-generation turbine engine, the T58 improved helicopter speed, payload, and safety.
Among military helicopter applications were the Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King, Sikorsky HH-3E Jolly Green Giant, Kaman SH-2 Seasprite, Sikorsky HH-52 Sea Guard, and Boeing Vertol CH-46A Sea Knight. The CT58 was the first gas turbine helicopter engine certificated by the FAA, powering the Sikorsky S-62 for Los Angeles Airways beginning in late-1960. Other CT58-powered helicopters included the Sikorsky S-61 and Vertol 107.
This artifact powered a Navy Sikorsky SH-3G utility helicopter. The -8F also powered the Marine Sikorsky VH-3A VIP helicopters for Presidential use, and similar HH-3A search and rescue helicopters.