Glide Bomb, Blohm und Voss BV 246, Lower Tail Section

Display Status:

This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.

Collection Item Summary:

The BV 246 was an experimental glide bomb developed by the German Luftwaffe in World War II. It was designed to be dropped a long distance from its target, thereby avoiding Allied figher opposition. This tail section may come from a "Radieschen" (Radish) variant, which was to home in on radars.

U.S. Army Air Forces shipped the components from Germany in 1945. It is not known when the Smithsonian acquired this artifact.