Hamilton Standard Propeller, Three-Blade, Constant-Speed, Metal
The Hamilton Standard Hydromatic propeller introduced in the 1930s was a significant advance over the counterweight, controllable pitch propeller. Application of oil pressure to both sides of the actuating piston provided increased capacity and the capability of feathering or unfeathering by a single control knob. Reverse pitch permitted shortened landing roll.
With this advance, Hamilton Standard became the primary propeller manufacturer for the Allies during World War II. Virtually the entire front-line inventory, from multiengine bombers to fighter and transport aircraft, as well as a significant majority of RAF aircraft, employed Hydromatic propellers. Hamilton Standard and its three licensees--refrigerator manufacturers Frigidaire and Nash-Kelvinator, and office equipment maker Remington-Rand--produced 530,135 Hydromatic propeller assemblies during the war.
This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.
Country of Origin
United States of America
PROPULSION-Propellers & Impellers
Type: Three-Blade, Constant-Speed, Metal
Engine Application: Pratt & Whitney Wasp R-1830-92
Storage: 289.6 x 335.3 x 29.2cm (114 in. x 11 ft. x 11 1/2 in.)
Other (Pitch Change Regulator): 25.4 x 20cm (10 x 7 7/8 in.)
Other (Spinner): 26.7 x 38.7cm (10 1/2 x 15 1/4 in.)
Other (Hub Diameter): 27.9cm (11 in.) Materials
Steel (hub and hardware)
Pitch Change Regulator:
Steel Inventory Number
Transferred from the U.S. Air Force
National Air and Space Museum
Restrictions & Rights
Usage conditions apply