Collection Item Summary:
This is an example of the 4th Composite Group insignia. The unit was formed from 2nd, 3nd and 28th Aero Squadrons in 1919. In 1920s, the group was transferred from Mitchell Field, New York to the Philippines. The Air Corps disbanded the group as an organizational unit in November 1941 a few weeks prior to the outbreak of war in the Pacific on December 7, 1941.
This 4th Composite Group insignia is one of a series of United States Army Air Corps and United States Navy insignia that was sponsored by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) Art Program. Paul Garber directed the painting of these insignia. They were originally on display in the aeronautical section of the Smithsonian "Tin Shed".