Katydid Drone

Display Status:

This object is on display in the James S. McDonnell Space Hangar at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.

Collection Item Summary:

The Katydid was a U.S. Navy pulsejet-powered target drone built by the McDonnell Aircraft Corporation between 1946-1947. It could be either air-launched or fired from a AT-1 catapult on land. The Katydid was powered by a McDonnell 7-inch pulsejet of 55 pounds thrust. Its pulsjet was like the one on the famous German V-1 of World War II.

Katydid was usually carried on bomb racks of a PB4Y Catalina aircraft and was parachute-recovered for re-use. The endurance of the drone was about 0.7 hours. Its maximum speed was 175 miles per hour. This Katydid was donated to the Smithsonian in 1966 by the U.S. Navy.