This is a 1:48 scale model of the V-2 missile, the world's first guided missile developed and used by Nazi Germany. Powered by liquid-fuel engines, the V-2 had a maximum range of 320 kilometers (200 miles) and carried a conventional warhead. It was first successfully tested in October 1942. Beginning in September 1944, over 3,000 V-2s were launched from mobile launchers at targets in England, France, and Belgium. NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center made this metal model and transferred it to the Museum in 1976.