Rocket Engine, Liquid Fuel, D50C1

Reaction Motors, Inc., developed this small liquid-fuel rocket motor from 1944-1948 for the blade tips of helicopters for boost thrust. It was designated the D50C1 because it produced 50 pounds of thrust from one chamber. The propellants were either liquid oxygen and alcohol, liquid oxygen and alcohol with water, or liquid oxygen and gasoline.

The first tests were conducted in 1944 with a Pitcairn Aviation, Inc. autogiro blade mounted on a special tripod type stand set on a concrete testing slab. The tests did not go well, however. The project was thus cancelled and it never became operational. This object was donated to the Smithsonian by the Reaction Motors Division of the Thiokol Chemical Corporation in 1985.