Jupiter S-3 Rocket Engine

    Usage Conditions Apply

    There are restrictions for re-using this media. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Terms of Use page.

    IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and image viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. More - https://iiif.si.edu

    View Manifest

    View in Mirador Viewer

    Jupiter S-3 Rocket Engine

    Tubular at top of combustion chamber with large bell-shaped nozzle flaring out below and pumps and other plumbing joined to the top of the chamber and thrust mounting; the engine also features regenerative-cooling through the "spaghetti" configuration in which the cooling tubes form the longitudinal walls of the chamber thereby both strengthening the chamber as well as cooling it with the flow of fuel prior to injection; a series of horizontal bands further strengthen the chamber; combustion chamber, silver and gray, and yellow triangular mount at rear; comes with dolly, painted blue.

    1 of 1

Display Status:

This object is on display in the Rockets & Missiles at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.

Rockets & Missiles

This is the S-3D liquid fuel rocket engine that powered the Jupiter, the US.'s first U.S. intermediate-range ballistic missile (IRBM) of 1,600 miles. The S-3 was a modification of the Redstone engine. It produced 150,000 lbs of thrust and used liquid oxygen and JP-4, a type of kerosene.

Rocketdyne developed the engine from 1956. The Jupiter became operational in 1960. It was used until 1963 and a modified version with additional upper stages, called the Juno II, was developed to launch spacecraft. Junos successfully launched the Explorer 7, 8, and 11 satellites. This object was donated to the Smithsonian in 1991 by the U.S. Army Center of Military History.