Salmson 9AD Radial Engine

Display Status:

This object is on display in the Boeing Aviation Hangar at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.

Boeing Aviation Hangar

Emile Salmson’s French general engineering firm entered the aircraft engine field in 1911. Its earlier engines were water cooled radials based on a Swiss Canton-Unne patent. The Société des Moteurs Salmson introduced the air cooled 9AD in 1925. Private pilots in the United States and Europe used it extensively in light sport aircraft. A French Albert TE-1 aircraft equipped with a 9AD captured a light plane altitude record in 1926 of 6,096 meters (20,000 feet).

The Aeromarine-Klemm Corporation of Keyport, New Jersey, was the American distributor for Salmson engines. U.S. and European aircraft that used the 9AD included the Aeromarine-Klemm AKL-25A, American Eaglet 231, Caudron 109, Farman 230, and Morane-Saulnier MS 180.