This control tower forms the centerpiece of an elaborate multi-piece Space Patrol Rocket Port set based upon the ABC-TV weekly half-hour series titled "Space Patrol," which ran from 1950-1956. It was manufactured by Louis Marx and Company, located in New York City, which also produced Flash Gordon branded merchandise in the 1930s. Fort-based playsets took advantage of the existing production of Western toys, which could be repurposed with new designs to appeal to space-minded youth. The figurines that could be played with in such a set represented spacemen and aliens.
Michael O'Harro, a collector, donated the tower--and the entire playset--to the National Air and Space Museum in 1993.