Warner Super Scarab 165, Radial 7 Engine

Display Status:

This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.

Collection Item Summary:

The Warner Aircraft Corporation of Detroit, Michigan built four models of similar radial air-cooled engines. Three were seven cylinder engines first introduced with the 82 kW (110 hp) Scarab at the 1928 National Air Races, powering Cessnas and Monocoupes, which dominated their classes. With a strengthened crankshaft in 1929, output increased to 95 kW (128 hp). The Super Scarab was initially introduced in 1932 at 108 kW (145 hp) with a number of other detail refinements. With a new cylinder head and increased compression ratio, plus other detailed improvements, the 123 kW (165 hp) version of the Super Scarab was certificated in 1939. The fourth type was the companion Junior Scarab, having five cylinders.

Among the military aircraft powered by the Super Scarab 165 were the Fairchild UC-61/A/B, Harlow UC-80, and Cessna UC-94 and the Sikorsky XH-4 helicopter. Among the civilian airframe applications were the Cessna Airmaster C-39 and Fairchild Forwarder 24W46.