Explore the museum like a member of our team with unprecedented access.
What goes in to running America’s favorite museum? Join us as we take you behind the hangar doors at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center Open House.
At this year’s event, we will be highlighting the behind-the-scenes work of our upcoming transformation project. Even though the renovation is happening at the Museum in Washington, DC, the Udvar-Hazy Center plays a huge role in the project. To show you, we’re opening the doors to work areas only accessible to the public once a year at our annual Open House.
Get a look at historic artifacts and documents that are not on public display and see what it takes to collect, preserve, and restore them. Meet restoration specialists, conservators, collections specialists, archivists, curators, and others. Participate in hands-on activities and special tours.
Behind-the-scenes experiences include:
- Explore the Mary Baker Engen Restoration Hangar and see the work our restoration staff is doing on the Lincoln-Standard H.S., which will go into the new America by Air gallery, and Martin B-26 Marauder Flak-Bait.
- Visit the exhibits workshop to learn how exhibitions are designed and fabricated.
- Go inside a Collections storage room to learn about how artifacts are stored and cared for and how we move artifacts from one Museum location to another
- Tour the Emil Buehler Conservation Laboratory to explore the science behind artifact preservation and care, see current projects such as the primate space capsule, and learn how 3D digital microscopes are used in conservation.
- Visit the National Air and Space Museum Archives and learn about the museum's newest archival materials.
Please note: Access to the behind the scenes experiences begins in the Restoration Hangar. Last entry to the Restoration Hangar will be at 6:15 pm.