National Air and Space Museum staff contribute to many larger Smithsonian efforts during any given year. For example, this year the Smithsonian Folklife Festival staff came calling. The 2010 Festival running June 24-28 and July 1-5, features the “culture” of the Smithsonian. “Smithsonian Inside Out” allows visitors to interact with Smithsonian experts and get a glimpse behind-the-Castle-doors, so to speak.
- Ever wonder how we hang those huge airplanes? Museum specialist Samantha Snell will tell you.
- Do you have questions about spacesuits? Division of Space History staff will provide some answers.
- What kinds of skills are needed to produce a large exhibition? Hear one of the exhibit teams talk about the gallery, Moving Beyond Earth.
- Did you know that our designers often create 3-D models of exhibitions? See some models and talk to our design staff.
- How does Smithsonian staff collaborate with visitors? Help Smithsonian educators, including some from the National Air and Space Museum, test a variety of exhibition components.
- What’s the latest news from Mars? Meet some of the scientists in the Center for Earth and Planetary Studies and hear about their latest research projects.
So, grab a water bottle, some sunscreen, and a hat, and visit us at the festival. Don’t miss this rare opportunity to see a different perspective of the Smithsonian.