Anzani aircraft engines were first produced in 1908 by a French firm well known as manufacturers of motorcycle engines. Air-cooled Anzani radials, also produced in England and Italy, were the best known of this firm’s engines, and this model was one of the earliest air-cooled stationary radial types. The Model A 2 was introduced in 1910. It was an improvement over earlier Anzani three-cylinder, air-cooled, fan-shaped engines, and powered Deperdussin, R. Sommer, and Bleriot XI aircraft.
Except for valve location and method of attaching cylinders, the radial and fan types were similar, with cast iron cylinders and integral cooling fins. Practically all designs used Zenith carburetors and Gibaud magnetos.
By 1913 Anzani was producing no fewer than seven types of aircraft engines. An 89kW (120-hp), 10-cylinder model was used by Clyde Cessna in his first aircraft. Bellanca was another American aircraft manufacturer that utilized later Anzani engines.