The Pitcairn-Brewer Model F engine was developed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, during 1927 and 1928. This engine was designed by Captain Robert W. A. Brewer and sponsored by Harold F. Pitcairn. The objective was an engine that was more reliable and lighter than existing engines, specifically, a replacement for the Curtiss OX-5 that could power Pitcairn Aircraft, Inc. and other aircraft as well. The Pitcairn-Brewer engine was tested by the U.S. Navy Aeronautical Engine Laboratory and was flight tested on a Pitcairn PA-4 Fleetwing II.
While the engine was successful technically, Pitcairn could not find a manufacturer willing to produce it. The Wright Whirlwind J-5 engine was being marketed at the same time, and the Pitcairn-Brewer engine could not compete with it. This is the last remaining engine of three built.