This is a patent model for an improved skyrocket of John W. Hadfield of Newtown, New York, invented in 1867. Hadfield's improvement consisted of three short wooden guidesticks attached to the rear of the rocket by wires around the body.
The usual firework rocket, also known as a skyrocket, was fitted with a single long wooden guidestick that made the rocket cumbersome and difficult to store and transport. Hadfield's shorter separate sticks could be easily packed into a small space for shipping. Further, they served as a launch stand. However, Hadfied's improvements do not seem to have been widely adopted. This object was donated to the Smithsonian in 1983 by Alan D. Dunphy.