Celebrate the global feats in the fields of science, math, technology, and engineering. Meet scientists and engineers who are active in fields such as robotics, aerospace design, and aviation, and develop your own skills through hands-on activities. This family day is presented in collaboration with Smithsonian Latino Center.
Due to the volume of visitors anticipated, please allow time to get into the parking lot, and consider using public transportation. The parking lot may fill up as the day progresses; to check on the status of the parking lot, please call the UHC Welcome Center at (703) 572-4118.
Timed presentations will take place on the lower level of the Boeing Aviation Hangar unless stated otherwise.
- NASA Astronaut and Pilot Patrick Forrester
Learn about what it takes to be a part of the next generation of STEM professionals.
10:45 am and 1:00 pm
- Ask an Expert Presentation with Roger Connor, Aeronautics Department
Topic: The Helicopter War in Vietnam
- Rosie the Riveter, History Alive Character Performance by Mary Ann Jung
- Book Signings: Col. Wolfgang Samuel and Sandra O’Connell
Outside the Museum Shop
12:00 pm – 5:00 pm
ALL DAY ACTIVITIES
Join in career talks and hands-on activities hosted by local science, technology, engineering, and math professionals. Activities will take place in various locations in the Udvar-Hazy Center.
- Meet Latino STEM professionals participating in the Smithsonian Latino Center’s iDescubra! Meet the Science Expert
- Get information about careers in the STEM professions from the American Indian Science and Engineering Society of the National Capital Region.
- Listen to the Women in Nuclear as they share facts about nuclear energy, radiation, and careers in the nuclear industry.
- Experience hands-on learning through discussion and interaction with Discovery Station experts.
- Learn about the world of parachuting from Big Air Sportz instructors.
- Try your hand at the Paper Airplane Design Challenge.
- Learn to program and control robots with members of the FIRST Robotics teams from Washington, DC and Virginia.
- Make and decorate paper helicopters with professionals from the College Park Aviation Museum.
- Learn about Galileo’s telescope with Goddard Space Flight Center STEM professionals.
- Make a motor in minutes with Hobby Hangar and ElecMech Design STEM professionals.
- Operate a small rover and a robotic arm with the Federation of Galaxy Explorers STEM instructors.
- Learn about model airplane building with the International Plastic Modelers Society.
- See some amazing RC aircraft and quadcopter models, and do flight simulations with the Northern Virginia Radio Control Club.
- Learn about Glider Flight training with Skyline Soaring Club instructors.
- Find out how you can participate in the DaVinci Challenge: Build a Drone Workshops.
- Interact with LEGO NXT and Android-based mobile rockets with the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s Adventures in Science program.
The Heritage Family Day Series is made possible through the generous support of Northrop Grumman Corporation.