65 Squadron Spitfires

Aircrew look at Spitfires in a row
Zoom in on the image Zoom    Download this file Download

65 Squadron received its Spitfires equipped with de Havilland three-blade two-pitch propellers in March 1939. Their Spitfires are being repositioned at Hornchurch during the summer of 1939. The squadron code on their fuselages changed from “FZ” to “YT” at the outbreak of World War II to confuse German intelligence.

ID #:

NASM 1B42834

Source:

National Air and Space Museum Archives, Smithsonian Institution

Copyright/Owner:

Smithsonian Institution

Rights Usage:

Contact Smithsonian Institution

Terms of Use:

Smithsonian Terms of Use
For print or commercial use please see permissions information.