Join us for our annual Halloween event at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center to explore the spooky side of air and space.
This year, the event will take place both inside and outside at the Museum. The tickets required for outdoor activities are sold out, however you're welcome to enjoy our indoor activities without a ticket.
Air & Scare is one of our most popular events and we anticipate high visitation. As a result, there could be delays entering or exiting the parking lot. To avoid traffic, consider taking public transportation (Fairfax Connector 983). The bus can be taken from the Wiehle Reston-East Metro Station, by parking at the Herndon-Monroe Park & Ride (parking is free) or from various other stops. The bus fare is $2 per person. The bus ride from Herndon-Monroe to the Udvar-Hazy Center takes about 20 minutes and the bus runs every 20 minutes. View the bus schedule.
Air & Scare will take place rain or shine. Some outside activities may be curtailed, but many will scream on. Bring rain protection if it’s gloomy.
We will also host an online costume contest you can enter from home or from the event. More information can be found below.
What to Expect
At Air & Scare at the Udvar-Hazy Center, you’ll get some spooky discoveries and some science fun. Here are some highlights of activities you can expect.
- Test your skills on our Obstacle Course Through Space.
- Let your toddlers enjoy a puppet show.
- Enjoy story time with your favorite Star Wars characters.
- Join our sing along throughout the day.
- Strike your best photo pose with your favorite Star Wars characters.
- Take our Halloween Scavenger Hunt Challenge while touring the Museum to learn about the spookier aspects of our collection.
- Engage with our Explainers to learn about the cool and creepy ways space affects the human body.
- Pick up candy treats along the way.
Outside Activities - Free Timed-Ticket Required, Sold Out
- Identify Core Samples – of candy!
- Create your own James Webb Space Telescope space art while learning about surface tension – with candy!
- Test your knowledge at Trick or Truth Stations – earn candy!
- Search the area for spooky creatures while learning to use a telescope.
- Challenge yourself to complete your mission passport to gain access to our Mars Launch.
- Tattoo yourself, temporarily.
Be ready for other surprises!
Outside activities require free timed-tickets which are sold out. Air & Scare is estimated to be a 90-minute experience including inside and outside activities.
- Costumes: All visitors are welcome to wear costumes to the Museum. Halloween/costume masks are not permitted inside the Museum and are prohibited both inside and outside for individuals over 16 years of age. Children up to the age of 15 may wear Halloween masks. Real and costume weapons are not permitted in the Museum or anywhere on museum property, including the outdoor part of this event.
- Personal Belongings: We encourage you to limit the number of personal belongings and bags you bring into our facility, as they will be subject to a thorough search.
- Weather Policy: Event planned to take place rain or shine. Some outdoor activities may be canceled, but some will proceed in the rain. Bring rain gear for outdoor activities.
- Transportation: Parking in the on-site lot is $15 per car. The Udvar-Hazy Center can also be reached via Fairfax Connector route 983.
- Planning your Visit: Your timed entry ticket is required for access to Air & Scare Outside. You may access the Air & Scare Outside ticket line up to 15 minutes before your timed ticket, and within the hour of your timed ticket. Please note: You may experience periodic lines, for Museum parking, Museum entry, and the queue line for Air & Scare Outside. Please plan accordingly to be sure you are on time for your timed entry.
- Face Coverings: Face coverings are not required, but may be worn.
Air & Scare is made possible by the generous support of Mars Wrigley Confectionery US LLC.
Costume Contest — Enter On-Site or From Anywhere!
And the winners are ...
Review the full contest rules and terms & conditions.
Two student educators demonstrate the principles of flight at the 2021 Air & Scare Outside event.
Two pumpkins decorated for Air & Scare at Home.
Visitors enjoy our annual Air & Scare event.
Two Museum staff members dressed in space-themed costumes at the Museum's annual Halloween event.