This case was made to provide protection for the sunglasses issued to astronaut Michael Collins, command module pilot of the Apollo 11 mission in July 1969. The case is constructed of beta cloth, is reinforced to retain its shape, and has a metal snap closure.
Michael Collins, former director of the Museum, donated the case in 1984.
Donated by Michael Collins
- Overall - beta cloth
- Snaps: chrome-plated steel
- 3-D (Open, On Display): 15 × 14.5 × 1.7cm (5 7/8 × 5 11/16 × 11/16 in.)
- 3-D (Closed): 15 × 6.5 × 3.5cm (5 7/8 × 2 9/16 × 1 3/8 in.)
- PERSONAL EQUIPMENT-Personal Items
- National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC
- Concourse - 1st Floor
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- Michael Collins