Student Jobs — Explainers Program
Explainers at the National Air and Space Museum inspire life-long learners by connecting them to our iconic artifacts and to stories about the science and technology that make innovation possible. The Explainers Program hires high school and college students to help visitors better understand the Museum’s artifacts and exhibitions through hands-on programming. Explainers work at either the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC or at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia. Send questions to: NASM-ExplainersProgram@si.edu
Explainers engage visitors with hands-on activity carts and interactive demonstrations on topics such as the forces of flight and humans in orbit. Explainers also respond to visitor questions submitted to the How Things Fly website. There’s even the chance to teach people how to land a space shuttle or show them how a space shuttle toilet works!
Explainers are scheduled to work at the Museum in DC seven days a week and at the Udvar-Hazy Center weekends and holidays. Hours at each location are flexible according to your academic schedule.
To be an Explainer, you must:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Currently be enrolled in a diploma or degree granting program
- Maintain a 2.7 GPA
- Work at least 15 hours per month
- Be able to interact with diverse groups of people
- Have good written and oral communication skills
- Be willing to attend ongoing training and conduct self-study in general scientific principles relating to aeronautics and space science
Email NASM-ExplainersProgram@si.edu for an application form.
To be considered for a position as an Explainer, you must submit the following items:
- A completed application form
- A one to two-page Statement of Purpose — How can you contribute to the program and how would this job assist you in your career and/or educational goals?
- A current resume
- A high school or college transcript (unofficial transcripts will be accepted)
- Two letters of recommendation
To be an Explainer you must be a United States citizen with a photo ID, a naturalized citizen with proper documentation, or a non-citizen with proper INS authorization to work in the United States.
An interview will be scheduled after the application package has been received.
Please Note: Incomplete application packages will not be processed or considered.
For additional information or to submit recommendations separately, email NASM-ExplainersProgram@si.edu.
The Explainers Program is made possible by the generous support of Raytheon Technologies.