Register to reserve a unique experience for your students to engage in virtual storytelling and the Museum's content online. Each Flights of Fancy Story Time experience lasts approximately 30 minutes and will be hosted on Zoom or Teams. If your school uses a different platform, please note your platform preference within your registration.
Reserved programs are intended for school groups, homeschool groups, and community-based organizations serving youth that meet the minimum program requirements. If you have questions about if your organization meets the Museum’s program requirements, please contact NASMTours@si.edu.
Available Virtual Story Time Programming
Virtual Flights of Fancy Story Time
Experiences available for groups of 10 or more
The reserved Story Time program will include a read-aloud with the museum educator, a video chat about an image or other museum resources related to the topic, and a demonstrated craft activity by the museum educator.
Each program has associated resources in SI Learning Lab and an online Story Time (Flights of Fancy or Pilot Pals) that will enhance and expand the theme so that teachers can use them in before and after the program for a more complete learning experience.
Virtual programs are available at 10:00am Eastern on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and 2:00pm Eastern on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you would like to inquire about an alternative program start time please contact the Tours and Reservations Office at NASMTours@si.edu.
The Great Solar System Tour
Learn more about the planets with this exploration of our Solar System. Join as a Museum educator reads Space Walk by Salina Yoon, chats about spacecraft that have travelled to the edge of the Solar System and then leads the students in creating a solar system book.
If you wanted to go to outer space, how would you get there? In a rocket of course. Join as a Museum educator reads Hare and Tortoise Race to the Moon by Oliver J Corwin, examines rockets in our collection to notice what shapes they are made from, and then leads students in the creation of three dimensional models of rockets.
What is it like to experience the thrill of an air show? Join as a Museum educator reads Air Show by Treat Williams, demonstrates loops, rolls and other aerobatic maneuvers, and leads the students in the creation of their own tricky flyers.
Inspirational Biography Series
Join as a Museum Educator reads an inspiring biography of a pioneer of aviation or space exploration. Each story will explore objects in our museum that relate to that person’s story and a craft that will allow students to continue to play and learn. Choose from:
- Amelia Earhart: You Can’t Do That Amelia! by Kimberly Wagner Klier
- Bessie Coleman: Nobody Owns the Sky by Reeve Lindbergh
- Mae Jemison: Mae Among the Stars by Rhoda Ahmed
- Wright Brothers: The Story of the Wright Brothers by Michelle Prater Burke
Virtual Shared Story Time
Experiences available for groups of 10 or less
We also offer monthly Shared Virtual Flights of Fancy Story Time experiences for groups of 10 or less. These shows are offered twice a month at 10:30 am via Zoom Webinar and have a capacity of 100. There is no minimum participant number in order to register for these shows. Please note that these shows are "shared" which means there are other registered participants in the program.
This reserved program includes a read-aloud with the museum educator and a video chat about an image or other museum resources related to the topic. After the reserved program, the museum educator will follow up with suggested post-visit experiences and an evaluation.
Due to the larger number of participants it does not include the craft activity led by the museum educator, but information about the craft is included in the resources provided as part of your reservation.
There is no minimum participant number in order to register for these shows.
Upcoming Shared Story Times:
- September 17, 2021 10:00 am Eastern There Once Was a Sky Full of Stars
- September 18, 2021 10:00 am Eastern There Once Was a Sky Full of Stars
- October 8, 2021 10:00 am Eastern Violet the Pilot
- October 9, 2021 10:00 am Eastern Violet the Pilot
- November 12, 2021 10:00 am Eastern Air Show
- November 13, 2021 10:00 am Eastern Air Show
- December 10, 2021 10:00 am Eastern Nobody Owns the Sky
- December 11, 2021 10:00 am Eastern Nobody Owns the Sky
- January 14, 2022 10:00 am Eastern You Can't Do That, Amelia
- January 15, 2022 10:00 am Eastern You Can't Do That, Amelia
- February 18, 2022 10:00 am Eastern Space Poetry
- February 19, 2022 10:00 am Eastern Space Poetry
- March 11, 2022 10:00 am Eastern The Girl with a Mind for Math
- March 12, 2022 10:00 am Eastern The Girl with a Mind for Math
- April 8, 2022 10:00 am Eastern Interstellar Cinderella
- April 9, 2022 10:00 am Eastern Interstellar Cinderella
- May 13, 2022 10:00 am Eastern The Spacesuit: How a Seamstress Helped Put a Man on the Moon
- May 14, 2022 10:00 am Eastern The Spacesuit: How a Seamstress Helped Put a Man on the Moon
- June 10, 2022 10:00 am Eastern Alistair in Outer Space
- June 11, 2022 10:00 am Eastern Alistair in Outer Space
Virtual Story Times are made possible by the generous support of the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation.